The Gender Affirmative and Supportive Surgery Evaluation Tool (Gender ASSET) is an assessment tool developed by trans and genderqueer mental health professionals Becca Keo-Meier, MSW and Colt Keo-Meier, Ph.D. The Gender ASSET was designed for mental health providers to use in support of transgender clients preparing to undergo surgery as a part of their gender transition. This online course includes a Gender ASSET workbook along with on-demand training videos and sample letters.
The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) sets forth the Standards of Care (SOC). The 7th version of the SOC recommends transgender clients provide their surgeons with one to two letters from mental health providers before they are cleared for surgery. However, the majority of mental health providers have neither received adequate nor comprehensive training in providing this type of evaluation and are not familiar with the multiple surgical options available or the process of recovering from a major surgery.
Led by Dr. Colt Keo-Meier, this multi-part workshop is designed for mental health professionals who would like to receive training on evaluating and writing letters for transgender clients who desire to undergo gender affirming surgical procedures. The specific focus will be on assisting clients to be practically prepared for the process of surgery and recovery. This course is best suited for mental health providers who have some experience working with transgender clients.
Continuing Education (6 APA CEs)
We have partnered with the National Register to provide continuing education credits for The Gender ASSET. The National Register of Health Service Psychologists is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The National Register maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Dr. Colt M. St. Amand
Colt Meier St. Amand, Ph.D., is a licensed psychologist who routinely provides training on gender affirmative treatment of transgender clients. He provides education on gender and sexuality as a lecturer in the Psychology Department of the University of Houston and an assistant professor in the Menninger Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Services at Baylor College of Medicine. In his part-time private practice, Dr. St. Amand provides therapy, consultation, and evaluation services to transgender clients as young as 4. He directs the Transgender Health research lab at the University of Houston, which focuses on examining the effects of testosterone on the mental health and quality of life of transgender men as well as the experiences of parents of transgender children. He is a member of the hormone therapy committee for the WPATH Standards of Care version 8. Dr. Keo-Meier is completing his MD at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, Texas.
Gender Affirmative Supportive Surgery Evaluation Tool (ASSET)
- Discuss and critique the history of mental health evaluations for transgender clients seeking gender affirmative surgeries.
- Explain the purpose of the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) Standards of Care criteria for surgeries related to gender transition.
- Identify and discuss multiple gender transition-related surgeries with clients.
- Use the Gender Affirmative Supportive Surgery Evaluation Tool (Gender ASSET) to conduct mental health assessments of transgender clients preparing to undergo gender-affirming surgery.
- Identify the application of the ethical concepts of autonomy and practice within one’s scope of competence in the development and use of the Gender ASSET with transgender clients.
- Use the Gender ASSET to provide education on the process of undergoing and recovering from specific surgical procedures to transgender clients.
- Identify and discuss multiple pre-operative preparation steps as well as post-operative recovery supplies for transgender-related surgeries.
- Prepare letters in support of transgender clients accessing surgery for insurance coverage and for coordination of care with surgeons.